Well, That Was Unexpected

Real life is stranger than fiction...depending on which authors you read, of course.

Friday, January 30, 2009

NYC take 1--oscars and whatnot

I have apparently snapped up the most desirable place in O'Hare's B terminal. I have seen at least 3 people disappointed that the corner spot by the window is taken. Neither myself nor any of them is actually scheduled for the flight to minneapolis at this gate number. vini vidi vici!

My trip to New York was splendid after the terrible start on the flight. Let's start with food. My culinary happiness started with Mario Batali and continued unabated. I had some lovely Halal street food: a chicken gyro, assuredly not correct terminology, but delicious nonetheless. surprising in its inclusion of both hot sauce and tzatziki sauce.I finally went to Rice to Riches, the place in the movie Hitch, and I got 5 different kinds of rice pudding to try, which were so rich that I have brought half of them home after 2 days of trying to get through them. They are truly delectable though--the cinnamon with raisin, such a classic, was still my favorite. I also had rum raisin, french toast, pecan pie, and chocolate hazelnut. I am also keeping the awesome spoons and bowls. ahem, anyway, i went with two coworkers to chinatown to have dinner one night and we had Beijing Duck! mmmmmmmmm. it was delicious and crispy skinned and everything. the only thing was the pancakes were bizarrely huge--full 10 inch tortilla size. well, the people who owned the place were clearly cantonese, i suppose they cannot be blamed for this. afterward a very skeptical julie followed her coworker to a "phenomenal chinese ice cream shop" to which I said "chinese ice cream is usually disgusting". luckily this wasnt chinese style ice cream but rather western ice cream with chinese flavor. I had black sesame ice cream with ginger ice cream. extremely delicious! yet another top chef moment. With Misha I got a true new york slice from Delizia Una which I ate while on a late night conference call with work--I had been hoping for a slice or a hot dog, so this was a lovely triumph. Anyway, to round out the whole experience I met Stef, a long unseen but still dearly loved friend from college, at a latin wine bar where i had 3 glasses of delicious argentine and portuguese wines. I had a white wine paired with my arugula salad--a whole bowl of arugula with mango and roasted grapefruit. i thought a whole bowl of arugula might be overwhelming, but negative--it was fantastic. and i got the latin version of mozzarella sticks made with white cheese, and then i also asked for a side of creamy pepper dressing, which was almost a dead ringer for huaincaina sauce, a yellow pepper peruvian sauce that is one of my all time favorites. My face was slightly numb by the end of the night, but in a good way.

Another treat was that after my dinner with coworkers, we went to times square and walked around. still a sensory marvel. we then went and saw benjamin button which was quite good--I was moved at the end, but felt that one scene in particular was untrue to the characters and it marred it slightly. I actually also thought that the way Cate Blanchett spoke was unnatural and distracting...what stole the movie was the guy who got struck by lightning. and of course the ridiculously iconic scenes of brad pitt posing on motorcycles and in various worldly locations. My two male coworkers were like "damn, that brad pitt is a good-looking dude." so I didnt have to say it. The next day I had some unanticipated free time and Misha came and met me and we saw Slumdog Millionaire, which was absolutely fantastic. Looooved it!! The scenes of the chaos of Mumbai and the slum are exactly right. The heartbreaking hardness of it, but the joy that can still exist in those circumstances--excellent.


time to board.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling Julie,
You make me homesick. Some day when I am at home, you will have to come for a visit and we will have a New York adventure.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home