Well, That Was Unexpected

Real life is stranger than fiction...depending on which authors you read, of course.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sometimes people aren't good.

Story about people getting arrested for feeding the homeless in a park in Orlando.
Not the happiest place on earth after all.

This reminds me (in yet more 401k news, i know, you snore) of how i had to vote a few weeks ago on a fund for my previous 401k and the board or whatever for the fund had a recommended vote AGAINST scrutinizing funds to see if they contributed to genocide. assholes. and they default those votes to their recommendation, so anyone going through the motions has just voted to turn a blind eye to sudan investment. heinous. so make sure you look at what you are voting for!

in what i hope is better news, i went at lunch and signed up for my awkward adult ice skating lessons. in fact, i could go ice skating right now. i don't because i am wearing short sleeves and a dress. but i could, because i get free public skating. i'm glad i am finally doing this. they say that if you write down your goals you are like 90% more likely to achieve them. i also read about a foundation that fulfills the dreams of people in nursing homes and that a lot of times those dreams cost less than 50 bucks to fulfill, and voila suddenly granny isn't so cranky. i'm trying to fulfill as many of mine as possible. either so i will be a content old person, or so that fulfilling my dreams will be really really expensive.

that last paragraph reminded me of one of my favorite typos: public without the L.
bwahahahaha.

P.S. Nomes, that umbrella song is totally addictive. as far as the postcard...i'm amazing, right?! last week i mailed one to my sister lauren that i found going through stuff in storage as i prepare to move into my new place...it was from when i was in college. it was a free postcard from a cafe in boston. totally written, but not sent. i also once mailed a package 4 years after someone gave it to me to send. i need to work on my reliability. the only thing i have going for me is that i DO eventually get it done.the WHEN is just a sort of magical undetermined thing. hope you won pub trivia!

4 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Jules, I love you, and I too am ADDICTED to the umbrella song. It has been out a year and it has not gotten old, I play it roughly 25 times a day. Often as I am singing loudly on the streets of Cape Town...whatever, they just chalk it up to crazy Americans. As they should. Hey, my blog is up too--capetowntocambridge.blogspot.com. Not as funny as yours, but will keep you abreast of the craziness of South Africa. Or maybe just of me.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Macchiatto said...

Wow that news story is ca-razy! Who woulda thought? When I was in high school I went to a park downtown with my youth group once a month to feed homeless people. We never counted. That is so random and, indeed, unconscionable.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Naomi said...

Darling,
No winning of the pub quiz for me, but plenty of eye candy, so I guess I still came out on top. Also, Konraad called me up specifically to tell me how much he hated Prince Caspian because it's so racist. I love that you do things late--delayed gratification makes the enjoyment of the thing you'll eventually get that much better. This is a philosophy I'm hoping will apply to my sex life too, when I have one someday. Punctuality and reliability are two very different things. Umbrella is awesome, and my friend performed it when I was in Hamilton last time by sort of splicing it into the chorus of a Tragically Hip tune, which was even awesomer. And Lisa just had that proofing mistake on a proof yesterday, and Bryan marked it with a smiley face that had a little curly hair coming out of its head, which grossed me out, but maybe I'm just a dirty girl.
I hope you enjoyed my stream-of-conciousness comment, and that it is awakening your inner Viginia Woolf. Love and miss you A LOT.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Naomi said...

Ooh, and by the way, a similar thing happened to a church trying to feed dealers in B.C. http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=536972

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home